Sunday, May 12, 2013

I love my Mum: Happy Mothers Day

It's on days like today where you can stop and take time to appreciate people. Today is Mother's Day in Australia and we are driving to Geelong for the Mothers Day Classic event to raise funds for women affected by breast cancer.
Tragically over a year ago my cousin passed away from breast cancer at 32 years of age. Since her diagnosis the family has made this an annual event to firstly remember her and her spirit and also to raise money to find a cure.


My mum is with us today as we drive to the event after completing the night shift, with about 4 hours of sleep, she was determined to attend, she works for a major airline.

I wanted to share a few things about my mum, maybe not her full story but a few things and memories that make up this amazing lady. Whenever we chat she tells me that one day she would like her story told and that maybe they should make a motion picture of it. I will give you the synopsis and leave the rest to mum.
My mum was born in Greece and lived on a farm for most of her life, when we were young she use to tell us stories of her growing up and about the simple pleasures in life. About having stray animals as pets, using forks to brush her hair and sharing a bed with 7 brothers and sisters. When my mum was fifteen she was married off to my dad and promised a life of riches and adventure in Australia. 

When my mum arrived in Australia as a young teenager she could not speak a word of English and lived with her in laws. Very soon later she fell pregnant to me and at 16 was a mother. By the time she was 21 she had 3 children.

Fast forward many years, the things I recall vividly is my mum always reading Women's weekly, I would have been ten and didnt think much of it until she mentioned years later she bought the magazines to teach herself English. I think about it now in my 30s and think how difficult it would have been to be soo young in a country that you can't understand or speak the language with 3 children and really don't know how she did it being a child herself and with none of her own family to support her.

I remember always having fun with mum. We use to catch the bus to footscray and go shopping, she was always the warm hearted one in the family.

Growing up my mum had to work really hard, not having a formal education meant that she was destined to be a waitress, sewing shoes or a cleaner and did so with such pride and eagerness. 



A while back she landed a role with a prominent airline and we were all so excited for her, it was like she graduated from university, it was such a huge deal and it was finally like she had proven that all her hard work was worth something.
I love my mum dearly we are only 16 years apart and always get asked if we are sisters, she has a beautiful heart and spirit and always tries to give everything to the people she loves and her children. Mum isn't into labels or brands and doesn't care how much anyone owns or what car they drive, but give her a bowl of fried chips and she's one happy lady. It's the small and simple things that matter most to her.
On this day I want to wish her a Happy Mother's Day and thank her for just being there and being a shinning example that no matter who you are, you should always strive for greatness in your life. Push the boundaries, and think outside the box.

X B

No comments:

Post a Comment