Sunday, May 5, 2013

"Pasha" Greek Easter Traditions

You may or may not have gathered from my instagram photos that this week was the Orthodox Easter or "Pasha" which is Passover a holy week. It was five weeks later that the Catholic easter, I really didn't feel like it was easter, but to be honest easter is my favorite time and greek tradition/holy event. It is filled with fasting, midnight services, baking of sweet biscuits "koulouria" and bread "tsourekia" and cracking the red died eggs. When it comes to easter, it needs to be said that the greeks certainly know how to do it the best (well I think so anyways).

I spent most of Saturday morning baking "Tsourekia" which is a tradition I have been doing ever since I got married. I use my mother in laws recipe and it has yet to let me down. I usually take this as a gift to family and god children that I see prior to Easter Sunday.

Saturday evening was Anastasi, and for those that may not know, we attend church and moments before midnight the priest spreads the light which represents Christ, which people share with each other, the service is usually held outside and can be a little cold in Melbourne. The priest follows by saying "Xristos Anesti" (christ is risen) and we respond "Alithos Anesti" (Truly he has risen) followed by lots of kissing with family and friends around us. Apologies for any inaccuracies on the direct translation, perhaps if Father Emanuel is reading this he may like to help me out.

We hosted Anastasi dinner which followed the midnight service, we had about 20 family members join us, needless to say all the wedding crockery and cutlery were put to good use last night. My grandma made "Avgolemono" (Egg lemon soup) and my mother in law made "Magiritsa" (Tripe) and I cooked a few roast chickens, light really!!! (not really) as that evening many people broke there fast and were looking forward to having dairy or meat. It was a wonderful evening with the family and finished up around 2 am after the dishwasher was stacked.
Jacket: Seed Heritage | Pants: Sussan (not on website) | Boots: Jo Mercer (Texas)| Bag: Prada

As with all major holidays we tend to celebrate at both families and start with my hubby and then to my side of the family, it certainly makes the day exhausting but at the same time rewarding that we get to spend time with all the family.

Kallo Pasha to all....(Happy Easter)

Babs

3 comments:

  1. I saw this on Instagram!
    Kallo Pasha Hun - looks like a fab weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How was your greek Easter with the in laws? Did you get up to anything?

      Delete
    2. We didnt get to celebrate with his family as they couldnt make it to Melbourne and we couldnt make it there! But we can our own celebrations with some of his greek family here in Melbourne :)

      Delete