Sunday, July 29, 2012

A day of fun! Mornington Peninsula, Dark Knight Rises & Mama Baba

Its been sometime since I had a entire day with the hubby so we managed to really back in everything in one day. We woke very early to head down to Mornington Peninsula (6am thank-you!) for a drive down to the beach house, we ended up spending the afternoon there and enjoyed a nice breakfast at a local cafe then some massages and then to kill some time we ended up watching the Dark Knight rises at Rosebud cinemas.
The cinemas were nice and cosy, I think we were one of four people in the theatre. I have to say this movie exceeded my expectations, in fact I really didn't have any so maybe that is why I was so impressed. I thought this movie was amazing, for a boy film; I loved the effects, the story, the actors, everything was great so a 9/10 for the movie. I am more of a romance movie chick so thats why it didn't get the full 10/10

I felt very inspired by the Dark Knight and decided that the wintering Melbourne evening was perfect for cape wearing. So pulling the cape I bought last month and wearing my super high heels we made our way out for the evening to enjoy a bite to eat with some friends. We had late dinner reservations at Mama Babas, we found this obscurely tucked away restaurant and I instantly fell in love with the rustic warehouse dining space and the funky tunes coming from the dj tucked away in the corner of the bar. This place is super cool, reminds me of some of the restaurants that you find at Meatpackers district in NYC.


The cuisine concept is based on being part Greek/Italian cuisine, which seemed fitting because the couple joining us were Italian and hubby and I are of greek background. The Mama being the Greek part of the menu and the Baba being Italian cuisine. The menu is loaded with pasta which suited me just fine.

We waited at the bar for a few minutes and ordered some Olympic themed cocktails, I ordered the "Asia" I cant remember what was in it but the Lychee sold it for me. After having a brief conversation with George Calombaris, actually using my "elevator pitch" and asking him for a job and reminiscing on a time that we worked together about 8 years ago, he was lovely and for someone with so many things on the go had time for a quick chat. George resumed his duties clearing table, which goes to show that this is one hard working man.

We all decided to go with the "let us feed you" option for $55 each which combined a mixture of some chefs favourites on the menu. It seemed the easiest option and we got to taste 14 different food items on the menu across the snack, entree, main and dessert sections. It takes away the hassle and stress of thinking what to order and the food keeps flowing from the kitchen.

Okay from memory this is what we ate

Snacks
- Parma (loved them)
- Proscutto marinated in honey

Entree
- Ricotta in byzantine vinaigrette (loved it)
- Smoked tuna
- Beef carpaccio

Salad
- Fennel Orange, spring onion
- Pea: mint, ricotta

Pasta
- Tortellini: Prawn Saganaki, tomato feta
- Makaronia: White balsamic braised lamb, chestnuts, oregano

Mains
- Mulloway fish: parsnip puree, dutch carrot, wasabi lettuce
- Beef Cheek
- Polenta side

Dessert
- The Italian mess
- Cinnamon bomboloni with nutella


Not to bad for $55 a head, the portions where small, but we didnt leave there starving, some dishes were more of a hit than others, my favourite was the balsamic ricotta, the lamb makoronia, the beef cheek and the cinnamon bomboloni. I asked the table for a score and we all agreed on a 7/10, the let down was the portion size and the speed out of the kitchen, we were still eating 3 hours into our seating, which is fine if your not in a hurry.

Anyway get out there if your looking for a cool spot to go to, the music is crazy and the ambience is worth a visit.

Enjoying life
KB

No comments:

Post a Comment