Thursday, July 19, 2012

Farewell, Goodbye, Adios, Giasoooouuuuu!

I hate farewells more than the average girl. People who really know me, know very well I try to avoid them at all costs, I hate going to airports and seeing people off before they leave, I prefer to call them or text them anything than standing across the room staring at each other waiting for "that moment".

With all that, as this week comes to a conclusion, the  farewells are inevitable as my employment comes to an end after 6.5 years.  Most people may not understand why I might get so sentimental after all its just a job right? Well not in my eyes. I was 22 years old baby when I joined the business, I had limited professional experience and I was working with the "big fish". I lacked confidence, never thought I would reach anything spectacular. 
Ultimately I was really taken back by the friendships I made, the people that believed in me more than I had ever experienced in my life time. It is these amazing people that made working such a pleasure. I had the opportunity to travel Australia, did way too many Sydney trips for my liking, I learnt the in's and outs of "airport etiquette" or should I say lack of, and how to persuade airport staff to let me on a earlier flight home. I learnt how to drink with the men to get "the next job" or at least keep up appearances. I learnt how to be engaging in presentations, how to deal with conflict, and how to befriend senior executives who were on more money that I would ever see in my entire life-time and at the same time learnt how to respect all workers across every division and in every role. I was truly the go to person.
The Work Crew in better times

In my time, I have had the opportunity to really forge my career and I am incredibly grateful for all the opportunities that have been provided to me, making fantastic friends, having the opportunity to continue with my studies. 

I never really imagined that it would come to this, I really did think that I would be with my employer until I was grey, but all good things must come to an end.
My biggest achievement and joy was managing staff, this was only a recent duty, but I certainly enjoyed seeing the growth and talent of a certain young lady over the last year, whilst I am most sad that our working relationship ends, I am confident that the skills "the girl" has learnt will lead her to bigger and greater roles outside of Perpetual (Yes, Allira I mean you). 

I have seen many friends get married, have babies, and even get divorced and all the conversations we shared over coffee and the career/ professional and personal advice you have each given me has been invaluable and has shaped the person I am today, so Thank you!

I am really honoured and feel privelaged to have worked with them all over the last 6.5 years, you are all great individuals and it made turning up to work each day worthwhile. Thank you for each teaching me something about work or life or maybe just about achieving a work/life balance.

I will be sad to leave behind my friends but mostly Ms Toula who has been driving me to and from work for 5 odd years, please all make sure you take care of her, as most of you already know, she is the most kind hearted person and I will miss our drives, however I doubt that she will miss my frequent mood swings and ranting and raving at 7am in the morning. I am also sure that she wont miss having to wait 20 minutes outside because I slept through my alarm again.

One last thank-you to all the leaders (past and present) that inspired me and believed so much in me even during the times where I didn't. 

The most important lesson I learnt in my career was to pay it forward, all the opportunities that were given to me, all the support, confidence instilled in me I wanted to give to others. I hope to some small extent I was able to do this, especially to those people who deserved it the most.

As the week concludes I have been treated to many farewell lunches and lovely gifts I am looking to have a short break, re-charge find myself now that I am not Katie- Senior Operations Manager. 
I am not sure what I will do next, but rest assured when I do return from my break look out, I will back with the force, energy and charisma you all know and love.

Will be seeing you all soon, I do not plan to lose touch with these special people after all we share a special bond, perhaps "infinite" one.

Thanks for the memories PPT.

KB


No comments:

Post a Comment